Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Cute As a Button

I attended a Button Ring workshop last week.  OK, picture this...I walk into this quaint little bead shop all the way to the back of the store there was a long table and seven women of all ages and backgrounds sitting down. There was a big black box, martini and margarita glasses full of buttons. Everyone said hello and introduced themselves and we picked through what seemed like hundreds of buttons.  There were rumbles of ooh that one is so cute...is there another one like that?

The store owner began passing out cocktail glasses filled with...wait for it...Benjamin Button Age Reversal cocktails!  (Recipe Below) How cute is that?  I opted not to drink mine until my first button ring was completely done, and it's a good thing I held off because this new task was more challenging than I expected.  However, by the end of the evening I finally got the hang of wrapping wire the just right around the button.  Because I have such a huge attraction to shiny objects, I went for the brightest buttons in the box.  Two hours later I had four button rings created.

As the women were passing around cupcakes to go along with the Benjamin Button cocktails, I focused on perfecting my new creation. As you can see from the photo I got it down now!  I also now have a bad addiction to buttons (as if I need another craft addiction), I even gone as far as looking at my friend's jackets and wondering when they will be giving up those buttons!  It's only been a week but I love it so much that I started a button jar to bring to my shows and I created around ten button rings already. I tested that button jar out on a show I had this past Saturday and it was a success!  My favorites are antique and of course bling buttons. My daughter had a school trip to NYC where they went to Mood Designer Fabrics (everyone knows that place) and what did she bring me back? Yes! Buttons!  I love my Mood buttons.  Thank you sweet heart :)  This is a more advanced project but once you get the hang of it it's very easy.  I say to all you jewelry designers...try it you'll love it!


Benjamin Button Age Reversal Cocktail

Ingredients:

  • 2 oz 10 Cane Rum
  • 1 oz pomegranate juice
  • 3/4 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • dash of simple syrup
  • pomegranate seeds or lemon twist for garnish

Preparation:

  1. In a mixing glass, combine all ingredients.
  2. Add ice and shake vigorously.
  3. Strain into martini glass.
  4. Garnish with pomegranate seeds or lemon twist.

Enjoy...I sure did!

1 comment: